Fun in my fabric world....

Saturday, May 21, 2011

It almost rained in my happy place...

It has been a fairly quiet week here, the cough developed rapidly and I have ended up missing work and lolling about on the lounge for most of the week with little energy...but mending now.
That made me think about my "happy place"...somewhere or something that lifts my spirits when I am a little flat. Fabric shops are definitely on my list (and yours too I bet!) as is spotty fabric for me. I adore dots and spots in all colours, sizes and shapes. A couple of months ago there was some family stuff happening and I chanced upon a fabric shop...aah the mood began to lift...and I wandered inside and found some lovely red spots (my favourite)...yippee! So with the sun beginning to shine in my personal world I headed for the counter to purchase my happy red spots... only to meet the grumpy fabric lady! Don't you hate that! She was in a mood and she wanted the world to share it...I was grilled over my fabric choice and she even tried to make me feel bad for having time to sew as she had NO time at all. Boy was she a delight! Fortunately I didn't let her rain in my happy place (though I was concerned I may have had to buy more fabric to lift my mood...cue husbands sigh of relief ) and I was able to deflect her bad vibes and dash out of there with my mood still good. Most fabric shop owners are great, inspirational, warm people...scary ones are awful...I know I won't go back there again. The spots do look sweet with the Dresden...definitely a happy place combination for me...spots, Dresdens and Flower Sugar...I feel happy again!
Where is your happy fabric place?
Cardygirl xx

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a mood killer that lady was! I haven't found my happy fabric place yet. Although (without a baby hanging off me)... the Quilted Crow could just be that place... but it's a bit far away! I however, am happy to keep visiting lots of different shops in order to find that happy fabric place. (My local which closed... was not one of those lovely, warm places!)

Mistea said...

So glad you got out of there with the spots and good mood.
I like to explore the fabric shops both near and far. I think my happy fabric place would have to be the Patchwork Teahouse - it is a day trip from my place but oh so worth it and the scones are delicious. The food is as good as the fabric!
Hope the bugs have vacated for the season.

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

Shop keeper from hell...poor thing....I am pleased the sun kept shining...Cottage On The Hill, has to be on my list as well as Hatched and Patched...but you know what does make me happy my own stash....Glad to hear you are on the mend Cardy...

gracie said...

What a cheerful quilt square!

Mary said...

Your dresden looks great! Good for you not letting the grump get you down!

Anonymous said...

My happy Fabric places in Brisbane would have to be Peppermint Stitches and The Quilter's Corner, very happy places to shop.

cheers
Christine

SandyN said...

Glad you are feeling better....

Sandyn

Kiwifruit-Shiree said...

whta a grouch, can't understand poeple like that working in a very customer service orientated place, especially a quilt shop, what could possibly make one happier!!

suzitee said...

Spots and dots are definitely a mood lifter...love them to distraction right now :) Can't say that I have a happy fabric place where I live, but spent many happy hours with my 10 year old browsing the Craft Fair yesterday...does that count?
Don't understand people who bring people down like that, especially in what should be one of the happiest places around! She was lucky you bought anything at all!

Janet said...

Get outa town! We must have been sending happy vibes to each other, I went out yesterday and bought red spots. That's not all, I came home and made the same block, or at least part of it, but wait, that's not all, I went out again today and bought more spots, lol.
Grouches shouldn't be serving people!

Abby and Stephanie said...

Delightful, fun, happy! LOVE dresdens and all things spots. Those are my happy fabrics.

barb's creations said...

Love your dresden block...bah humbug to grouchy people they shouldn't be allowed in fabric shops let alone serve in them :) Barb.

Googy Girl said...

My happy fabric place is Onpoint at waratah, never ever a grumpy face... And I usually get a cuppa as well.
I have often gone there when I am feeling low

Anne Heidi said...

Oh boy- sounds like somebody had a bad day... Good thing you didn't let it spoil your mood :-)

Cathy @ CabbageQuilts said...

You did so well not to let her spoil your mood, that's not easy to do. My happy fabric place is Amitie, they are always so cheerful, though they are not that local to me so it is wonderful to visit xo

Shiralee Stitches said...

Well not being too close to any decent fabric shops, this is a tricky question....when in Brisbane I like to go to The Quilters and Embroiderers store...online I love Hatched and Patched....all fabric makes me happy.....I love the happy nature of your dresden on spots....glad you're back in a happy 'place'...

Anonymous said...

Don't let the grumpy fabric lady get you down - because your dresden is looking very cute :)

Anonymous said...

Good for you Alison, don't let someone spoil your day. We all need to make ourselves happy and I'm glad this has helped you get over your cold :)