Fun in my fabric world....

Sunday, December 7, 2014

A break in the snow!

Not real snow, but the snow we used to get when there was no transmission of a TV signal...or am I just showing my pre-digital origins?
I digress.
My blog has been a bit like that lately...as have many blogs...an occasional transmission and lots of white noise...nothing happening.
Life has been busy...work as always and just being busy as part of a family. Mum is well, just a little frailer and less confident at times, so it is nice to spend time with her.
DS is home from university for holidays before commencing his final year...nice to spend time with him as, very soon, he will be off making his own way in the world.
Too be truthful, I have lost some of my sewing stuffing...a bit like a worn out teddy bear. whilst the head would love to be sewing, I have found my increased responsibility and expanded role at work leaves me with little oomph at the end of the day...consequently little sewing seems to be happening.
But this weekend I vowed to change that!
Saturday morning I went with DS and his sweet GF, DD and Mum to some local craft markets where we tried to find a few gifts for Christmas. Mum loves going to these, and is always quite chuffed to be surrounded by family who are happy to spend this time with her.
After arriving home from the markets I was distracted by the mundanities of life...washing, cleaning, mowing...but NO! 
DS offered to do these things so I could make a couple of gifts for my very cute little neighbours...how good was that...might get him to do groceries too...ssshhh!
For the little twins I have opted for picture books...Puff the Magic Dragon for one and The Lion Sleeps tonight for the other. But for the older two (aged 4 and 6) I made reading pillows.
One for Tommy...
 and one for Lexie.
They both love books and this cushion, from a pattern by CluckCluckSew, is great. It has a quilted pocket on the front to hold a book, and the pillow to either lie on whilst reading or being read to. It should be a useful gift I hope. Being a horrendous over achiever at times, I have beautiful concealed zippers on the back...but I don't think they will really understand my prowess?
Today I have been playing with tiny trees, this pattern by crazymomquilts, I am planning a table runner for friends, and maybe one for me too?
The only sewing I have been doing lately, is a little bit of cross stitch. It started when a dear temptress started a stitch along on IG. First was a pincushion...
mine was an older Blackbird Design,
and I am currently working on a Christmas decoration.
I also did a very soft version of Kaffe's Icecream quilt...and yes I still need to bind it!
So, that is all my news, hope all is well wherever you are. For those in NSW, hope you are faring well in these terrible storms, the only plus is that we are getting rain, both in my new tank, and for our farming friends!
Cardygirl xx

16 comments:

Salley said...

Love those cushions...cant believe how quickly you made them after a busy day.
Loved the teddy bear analogy...there's one in this house too :(

Susan said...

It seems to me that you have quite a bit of oomph! The cushions are lovely, as is the cross stitch. Lovely to spend the weekend sewing and visitng the markets.

sunny said...

I'm glad to see that you're finding at least a little time for some stitching. Those cushions are quite adorable. And spending time with the family is the most important time you can spend. Enjoy every minute.

Deb said...

Great idea with the reading cushions. I am sure they will love them. Your pincushion is adorable. Yes I definitely think you have given the crafting and good kick in the side this weekend.

Chookyblue...... said...

can you send your boy to my place..........lovely cross stitch..........and YIPPEE I got some rain.........enjoy your break over Christmas........

Sue SA said...

Lovely pillows, very smart and I am sure will assist many an afternoon reading books. The pin cushion is adorable, almost tempts me to take up cross stitch again...but I might need glasses first!

Anonymous said...

Nice to know what's happening at your place ! All your sewing looks lovely !

liz said...

The cushions seem like a lot of work in a short time. Well done. You create very quickly. Also enamoured of the cross stitch pincushion. I hope you use it a lot over the coming holidays.

liz said...

The cushions seem like a lot of work in a short time. Well done. You create very quickly. Also enamoured of the cross stitch pincushion. I hope you use it a lot over the coming holidays.

Anita said...

How cute are the cushions! Yes my blog is full of white snow as well lol.......too zonked out at the end of the day to do anything useful....and the weekends are spent catching up on chores after a week at work. Sewing takes a back step unfortunately. I find other forms of social media easier and quicker to commipunicqte with friends than blogging at this point. BTW ..... I sent you a friend request on Instagram!

Abby and Stephanie said...

Love the snow reference. I am of the era! :o) I'm finding a comfortable quiet on my blog...I'm sure it felt nice for you to find time to do some crafting. Happiness is handmade.

Googy Girl said...

the cushions look great, and i love the table runner idea.... it will be gorgeous.

Lorraine said...

Not bad for someone who is so busy with other things.....in awe of your cross stitching efforts (as always) I have marked the centre of the piece of linen you sent me to get started...can't hurry these things! Love the cushions and the little trees - I have three done and hope to get some more done this weekend - although stitching time will be limited I feel!

Fiona@Dragonfly-Crafts said...

Love the cushions and Quilt.

Janice said...

For someone who has so many things to distract you from sewing, you have achieved a lot. The kids may not appreciate your fine workmanship, but I'm sure they will appreciate the lovely pillows to snuggle on. I was taken by the tiny trees when I saw them on Crazy Mum Quilts. Your versions are lovely.

Lurline's Place said...

Loving the Kaffe's quilt - so gentle! xx