Fun in my fabric world....

Sunday, January 18, 2015

January. A Reflection.

This morning I realised that next weekend is the Australia Day long weekend.
That meant a few different things to me.
Firstly, is it really only eleven months until Christmas?
Secondly, that is great as then I get a long weekend...woohoo! Now that I am once again working full time that is VERY important to me!
Thirdly, I have not blogged THIS year....oops!

In a brief summary, we returned from our Barossa expedition just before the terrible heat and fires around Adelaide. Whilst we were glad to be getting out in the nick of time, it was sad to leave dear Loz, and we were worried about her melting without us.
We had the best time with Loz. Whilst we were busy giving her pseudo TripAdvisor ratings for food, accommodation, tour narration...we had a lovely few days seeing her corner of the world. She was miles better than any tour leader I have had before, not even yelling at me once for spoiling her holiday by wanting to clamber through another old graveyard. That was a blessing!
Returning home I found that time had been sneaky and I was needed back at work. Blah!
I have returned to my former position but this time with permanency and far too many hours. I am hopeful of cutting back at some stage, but it is okay for the moment. I am enjoying working with a fabulous team and fun/interesting client group. Sadly I have now realised I am the oldest person in my workplace, so they have removed all sharp implements from my desk and enforced the wearing of my name tag in case I wander off. I feel a bit like an aging Paddington Bear...damn,  even my face gets fuzzy!
But it has left minimal time to stitch, and I am fretting a little about that. I cannot seem to focus for long as I am thinking of all the other things I need to do. Sounds familiar?
But I found time to make a large cushion for DS...to his specifications.
And I am smitten with the Smitten Quilt by Lucy Kingwell. I am using my stash (it is feeling a bit loaves and fishes at present....undiminished!), and loving my blocks.
I love hand piecing, I am not using papers.
I am trying to keep a sense of serenity in them...
 As I tend to verge on loud....can you believe that?
There are lots of blocks to make, so it will slowly progress...too many other projects needing attention.
This week also saw our DD and her husband move to Wagga Wagga, as he takes up a position there. They are very excited, she looks to have work too, and they will only be six hours away for visits. Sad that they won't be physically in our daily lives, but we are so excited to see them loving their shared journey.
I will leave you with a pic I love from the wedding day. I am still worried that I looked a bit like scary spice, but I love the colours!
Hope all is well wherever you may be!

Cardygirl xx

15 comments:

Lorraine said...

Bahahahahaha! ...I loved being your tour guide and never once wanted to yell at you....and really. Enjoyed the graveyard clambers! I hope you get some time for stitching - always so many distractions! Loving the Smitten blocks! I hope the newly weds will love their new home...and if you drive to visit them it will be about half way to my place! The guest room is always available to you xx

Anthea said...

Hi Cardy - welcome to 2015 in blogland!
Sounds like you had the best tour guide ever, ha ha...
And wow, your hand-stitched blocks are going to be stunning, good on you

Abby and Stephanie said...

You're adorable in that fabulous dress. Love your fabric choices AND those smitten blocks. Best times are those spent with family and friends. Especially if those friends and family are FUN!!! Happy New Year. :o)

sunny said...

Wow, what a great post. And that is a gorgeous picture of you!! Life sounds pretty busy, so just get in a little stitching when you can.

Googy Girl said...

Is nt this year just rushing by? Just love DS 's pillow, and your gorgeous blocks. Can't wait to catch up soon

Susan said...

The year might be whizzing by, but it sounds like you are filling it with lots of interesting and challenging things. I think your 'serene' blocks are lovely......as is your photo. I think all the colour suits your personality!

Heather said...

Sounds like you are very busy, whew I got tired just reading about all you are doing. But glad you are able to stitch here and there. loving those Smitten blocks!

pandchintz said...

Looks like you've been having a great time! Hope work settles down soon and you get to do more sewing - and blogging!

Lynda said...

Fabulous wedding day photo of you. Smitten is looking beautiful. I totally relate to being the oldest in the office.

wish2stitch said...

Love the cushion. Smitten is really nice too! I think my next project might need to be hand-pieced. I must say Aris
looks pretty excited about the wedding too.

Chookyblue...... said...

glad you had some time with Loz...........nice sewing........i'm sure you will fit some in now fulltime in the one spot.......

Chookyblue...... said...

oh and goodluck to the Miss for her move.......

Unknown said...

A Lovely post on your Reflection don't worry Cardy I was at work last week and one of the patients wanted to know why that "Old Lady" had to look after Him!!!
So now you don't feel so Bad Huh!!
Lovely Blocks
have a Good Year
xx

Janet said...

You look gorgeous in your dress. You've still managed some nice sewing, the blocks look like a good project for found time now that your back slaving in the workforce.

Fiona@Dragonfly-Crafts said...

Happy New Year Alison, glad to see you back with a blog post. Love the cushion, it's on my to-do-list :)