Fun in my fabric world....

Sunday, July 5, 2015

Maybe it was amojo?

Amojo: having no mojo; a distinct lack of "mojo"; an inability to become enthusiastic; a sudden and palpable loss of enthusiasm for a former passion.

Do you think that this might be next year's new inclusion in the Oxford dictionary?
I would vote for it, or perhaps it could be included under depressive disorders in the DSMIV?

Anyhoo! My mojo disappeared early this year, originally manifested by acute symptoms- malaise, lethargy, reduced level of sewing interest. I was hopeful that the trip to see the Quilts in the Barn exhibition by Margaret Sampson-George and her students would be the tonic I needed and my mojo would return. Yes, I was in awe of the quilts displayed, managed to find some stunning fabrics in Melbourne, ever hopeful that I would get home and be ON FIRE!!!!! 

I did some cross stitch...

And played with Smitten.

But it didn't happen, I even was blah about reading blogs. OMG, the three month mark passed and my amojia was now chronic! Vainly I tried to fight it, flicking through magazines and purchasing snippets of fabric....still nothing! A workshop with MSG failed to produce any mojo....still I floundered with a heavy dose of the blahs, no enthusiasm for anything.

Every now and then I would get a flicker of something, but generally it passed before I could fan the tiny flame, and...poof!...it had gone again! I even wondered if dear Granny a Loz had packed it in her bag and left it somewhere in the Scottish highlands. We were even contemplating taking a little trip to look for it....that would have been fun!
Maybe the monsters took it during the night?

I don't really know why my mojo went away, I think it was a culmination of things. Whilst our move was two years ago, it has been both easy and hard to settle- finding work that wasn't on a three monthly contract basis, finding like minded souls and actually feeling like we belong. There has been a sense of loss too, missing old friends and also the loss that some friendships were not as strong as I thought, some of these things really hurt. And these hurts have taken time to heal. And then we lost our beloved Molly.

But there were happy things that took a lot of energy too, like seeing our daughter marry and the opportunity to be a daily support for my ageing mother. Work is now settled but remains full time and is quite draining at times, but I work with an amazing team so I do feel blessed. But this leaves little time to create. And I do miss it. I really was wondering if it would ever come back....seriously!

Fast forward to yesterday, which quite prophetically was the 4th of July, Independence Day, well in the U.S., but my deluded brain is happy to think it was special for me too (cue DSMIV again!). 

I digress.

Yesterday I think that mojo found me again. In a technique workshop with Wendy Williams, where I found a happy place amongst the colourful wool felts, perle threads and embroidery stitches which I love. Wendy was inspirational letting my head wander into her woolly world, encouraging me to take some elements of her design and make something for me. I think wise Janette summed it up by saying that I had had no room in my head of late. Smart girl.

So last night I stitched and played with my felts, and now I have five tiny houses that I am loving...there is a plan which I am keen to pursue. Fun.

Fingers crossed I can nurture my delicate little mojo....and feed it so that I can watch it grow within me again. I will feel like reading blogs, planning projects in my head and then actually sewing them! I don't think it is going to be easy, but Saturday gave me the impetus to get going again...here's hoping!

Cardygirl xx

15 comments:

Abby and Stephanie said...

Some times I think we just need a break from the "norm." It's sad that you find out the true friendships when you move or during illness. Humans can be odd but our dear 4-legged friends love us always. Molly was a beauty. I can certainly see why your wooly felt houses would spark the creative mojo again. They look happy and fun. Enjoy your play time.

Heather said...

Woohoo, happy to see your mojo beginning to come out of hiding! I can so relate to your move and how such a change can put you out of sorts. Hopefully your stitching will begin to give you joy again and a Woolie project is a perfect start!

Anthea said...

How wonderful that your MoJo has seen fit to return Cardy!
You've had a lot of things going on & it's no wonder that you've found it hard to feel like sewing or being creative... we all have those times in our lives... sorry to hear that your move has been somewhat unsettling for you, I hope that things being to feel better soon...
here's to the wooly stuff & the workshop!

sunny said...

Be gentle with yourself and with you Mojo. Hopefully everything will be righted soon. Hugs!

gracie said...

Oh so nice to see your post today...I know how you feel...we all get that feeling sometimes. Right now it is a problem with my right hand that keeps me from stitching daily...I truly miss that. Love those houses and look forward to see what they become.

Shay said...

I know exactly how you feel Cardy . I've been struggling with exactly the same thing all year and have been wondering if I should give away my fabric and start a ceramics class....maybe there is some sort of virus out there ?

I think that occasionally life throws down time our way for a reason . I've just been going with it , and trying not to feel like a sewing slacker.

So sorry to hear about your beautiful Molly, but so happy to hear you've found some inspiration(it means there is hope for me yet!)

Chookyblue...... said...

you are welcome to go bush and spend some time in the Chookshed with me......usually alot is achieved when sewing together with friends in the Chookshed.........change is always happening in life......sometimes it is easier to deal with then others.........

Jeanette said...

It felt like i was reading about me at the start of your post. So i know how you feel/felt. Glad to see you mojo is back. I hope things get better for you. Love the houses they are so cute. Hugs,xx

Fiona said...

sometimes we just need to chill... I just love your feltie blocks... I think I would enjoy a workshop like that....
Hugz

Sue-Anne said...

You have summed me up EXACTLY! I definately know what you mean and it was lovely to read it written so eloquently. Very pleased to see your post and loving your colourful little houses xox

LuAnn said...

I think that quilting has to be something that you're in the mood for, and it can't be forced. When it happens to me the first thing I want to do is get rid of a bunch of my fabric. Thankfully I've just let it sit whenever it happens. You have an aging Mother, a daughter that married and are working. That's a lot on your plate. Take good care of yourself and I know we will see a beautiful quilt on your blog before long.

Lorraine said...

With so much going on I am surprised it's only your mojo that has gone missing...but with all that fabulous colour around you in Wendy's class it was bound to come back to play! Way too much fun for it to stay away! I would be happy to go mojo -hunting with you anytime should it go missing again! Look after yourself xxx

Susan said...

Like so many things in life, creativity has its ups and downs too. I saw some of Wendy's quilts at the Sydney show, so I can understand how you would enjoy her workshop! Sorry to hear about Molly, they are such a big part of our lives......x

Janice said...

I'm glad to hear that your mojo is now out of intensive care and starting to recuperate. Your felt houses are so cheerful that they can't fail to get you motivated again. It is surprising how much a move and the ups and downs of life can take out of you, leaving very little extra energy for play time. Here's hoping things settle down from now on. Take care.

liz said...

Nodded my head as I read your post. I think we all go through troughs and rises. That is the best part, the rises I mean. When you feel so full of creativity that you can't resist starting a (several) new project(s).

Don't worry, looks like you are back enjoying your hobby and I hope you have found some new friends in Newcastle.