Fun in my fabric world....

Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Educating Cardy!

Expectations, preconceptions...we all have them. Hopes, dreams and aspirations...we have them too. We also have our own likes and dislikes, preferences and our own way we look at, and interpret our tiny corner of the world. My world is mine, peculiar to me and the person I am, just like when those who know and love you the most buy you a gift because "it was so you", and they are EXACTLY right.
Where is this all heading? Last weekend I had the good fortune to spend some time in the presence of Kaffe Fassett and Brandon Mably at a workshop hosted by Kathy Doughty and her amazing Material Obsession team. Kathy, John and their team certainly know how to host a workshop, just being around them makes your day brighter.
On Saturday evening there was a talk by Kaffe about his life, work and influences. Both Kaffe and Brandon are delightful...candidly sharing their experiences...an outing I will always remember. It was the most pleasant of evenings which ended with drinks on a roof top terrace overlooking Sydney Harbour.


The Big Bang quilt was our project on Sunday. It was interesting to see each participants own unique interpretation of this quilt. And this was the lesson learnt from this workshop; believe in yourself and your vision...absorb the input from the creative minds, but ultimately know yourself and how you see your world. Be guided, but be comfortable with where you are being guided too. Look around, observe what others are doing, but ultimately go with your version, as we all see and feel colour differently. What I like, others may not, and visa versa.


I was happy with my efforts, felt in a good place, but followed the advice to change and hit an enormous wall. Whilst initially this seemed dispiriting, some wise words from Kathy and a great deal of personal reflection have led me to an epiphany (cue angelic chorus)....be true to yourself. So there are no pics of what became a saturated pink gloop....so far from whom I am it's not funny, but over time there will be pics of something yet to be created, but a reflection of me and who I am.


Thank you Kathy, for once more expanding my vision in your always fun, but gentle and creative way, always supportive and so generous with your time. It was a great weekend, and amazing to think that Kaffe and Brandon crossed my path and, in their own way, influenced my sewing journey.


A weekend to cherish!
Cardygirl xx




- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

18 comments:

Lori said...

Sounds like a real fun and stretching experience!

Susan said...

Sounds like so much more than the usual workshop, lots to apply to life generally too. Happy memories made.

Mary said...

Oh Alison! How fun! It sounds like it was a great experience.

Janet said...

The weekend sounds like everything you could have wished for. Now that you've been inspired and motivated I'll look forward to your Big Bang. That's the workshop I would have taken if I could have.

Anonymous said...

what a buzz Alison ,so glad you had a great time.xx

Lorraine said...

Look at you hobnobbing with quilting royalty! :) Sounds like a fabulous weekend...so Big Bang turned into Pink Gloop? I am sure if you are being true to you it will turn out to be colourful, and fun - with lashings of loyalty and caring (whatever colours they are!)

Lynda said...

Fantastic message Alison. I'm so looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Salley said...

Great reflection upon a quilting journey. Its the process, not always the product!
Sorry about the weather!

Vivian said...

How exciting to spend time with world-renowned quilty folks as you did. Such a great experience for you and everyone else there, and I enjoyed reading about your take-away thoughts and conclusions.
Looking forward to seeing your projects in the future, but then I always do, even BTW (before the workshop).

suzitee said...

What very wise words Cardy. Glad you had a great time in Sydney, and came away with so much more than what you expected :)

Furball Farm Quilting said...

I'm so glad that the quilting "powerhouses"espoused that bit of philosophy to all of the participants. It is so disheartening to see the same old quilts being churned out almost like a factory production line, in order to sell a product. It's all about what you prefer, .... what suits, who's it for, and so on. But for yourself, I say "Break the mould", and feed your tastebuds. Glad you had an inspiring weekend.

Rachaeldaisy said...

Great post!! It can sometimes be hard to be true to what you like when you have an open mind and aren't quite sure what it is you want, until you see what it is that you don't want.

wish2stitch said...

Sounds like an amazing weekend of discovery. Can't wait to see the gloop quilt. Sounds interesting.

Googy Girl said...

Very inspiring post, it s so true when you create for you , you have to follow your own path..... A lesson I know I will always need to remember

Shay said...

It sounds like you were inspired, validated and had a wonderful time!

I fly by the seat of my pants with quilting all the time but even I sometimes forget to go with my gut...thanks for the reminder!

pandchintz said...

Yay! So pleased you had such a wonderful time. I felt similarly after a class with them a few years ago. Took me some time to assimilate all I'd learnt, but finished the quilt and love it! I'm much more confident in choosing "my" colours now.

Kevin the Quilter said...

Oh what fun! Thanks for sharing your trip with us! How I wish I could have been there as well!

Heather said...

I have been so inspired but this post. Lately I have been trying so many things trying to fit into molds that are perhaps not my own. A bit of reflection about my own likes and tastes might be in order right now. Thanks for the thoughts!